Moving to Berlin can be stressful when you don’t speak German and need to register your address with the city. Here you will find everything you need to know about the registration “anmeldung” in Berlin.


does it apply to me?

If your situation is one of the following, you need to register.

  • Moving to another apartment in Berlin.
  • Going from another city in Germany to move to Berlin for more than 6 months.
  • Moving from abroad to Berlin and your stay is longer than 3 months.

should I register?

This registration is needed for most of the administrative thing you will have to do here such as opening a bank account, paying your taxes etc.

Not registering your address is illegal and you can get a fine for it. Not the most noteworthy thing you will do in Berlin for sure but mandatory and easy to do when you know how it works.


do I need?

To avoid having to go back several times to the Burger office, come prepared with everything they ask. Here is a checklist of what you need:

❐ Proof of identity (passport, ID, visa if you need one) Note: check if they are still valid!

❐ Rental agreement (a sort of letter that your landlord gives you to prove that you are staying as a tenant in their apartment) The legal format can be found here.

❐ Civil status certificate if it is the first time you register (certificate of marriage, birth certificate).

❐ Anmeldung Form (most important document and hardest to fill when you don’t understand German) help over there 👉.

is the Anmeldung Formular?

This form will be mandatory for your life here in Berlin. To help you fulfill it, we created AiRelo. It asks you questions in English or other languages (French, Spanish, German) and delivers the form as a pdf in German. You just have to print it and bring it with you to the burgeramt and that’s it!


to register?

In order to register you need to go to the burger office. It is the equivalent to the city hall but for every district part of Berlin. You need to take an appointment in advance to go there. This will make you avoid a waiting time up to 3 hours and more. But you can also decide to go without any appointment. Take a ticket with a number and wait. Once your number is called you go to a room where they will ask you your proof of identity, confirmation of arrival by your landlord and the anmeldung form.

to take an appointment?

Taking an appointment is the best way to save time during the registration process. You can pick among one of the 40 burgeramt. And choose one in the district you live in is not mandatory so you can choose the one which is the most convenient for you!

Here is the link to take an appointment (“termin” in German). Tip: if you don’t see any slots available that suits you refresh the page a few times and most of the time a new slot will appear.

There is also the possibility to call them (they speak in English) at 115 and you can make an appointment directly on the phone.

What about the

German TV Licence (TV Tax)

Even if you don’t have any TV or Radio, the License tax is mandatory because they consider that you can have access to their services through your smartphone or computer. You have to pay up to one week after you received it otherwise you might have to pay a fine.

The tax is of 17.50€ per month but can be divided with the other person leaving in the flat. For instance, if you have flatmates the price will be shared between all of you. This license fees can be paid it monthly, quarterly, every 6 months or once per year.

Persönliche identifikationsnummer in other words: The Personal Identification Number or Tax ID

This number is unique and used for taxation purposes, your employer will ask you this number. In Germany, employees are taxed directly in their salary. If you don’t give this number to your employer, you will be taxed at the highest rate. You will receive this number a few weeks after your Anmeldung.

Please will find below an example of the letter you will receive with your number.


Disclaimer: This is a non-exhaustive article, to have all the latest governmental information you can go there.


Log in with your credentials


Forgot your details?